Call for Open Discussion on Updating the Eterna 'About' page

Tips help beginners, so tips could go under a Help heading.  The question is where should “Help” be placed?  On the main page?  

about page related discussion at dev chat:
[15:52] Jennifer Pearl So about the ‘About’ page it looks like there is support from the community to update it

[15:54] Jennifer Pearl There was a valid concern that the about page needs to have good info for people to understand who we are and whre we are going and were we have been

[15:55] Jennifer Pearl along with that it was brought up that we already have a player page so we should maybe stay away from “tips”

[15:55] Jennifer Pearl (maybe guide people to the tips

[15:55] rhiju @jen, how can we guide players to tips

[15:56] machinelves well noticed brourd! yep - can we make the whole button clickable?

[15:56] Jennifer Pearl have a set of links to where the tips live. Im thinking maybe a comprehensisve tip guide like the comprehensive eterna guide

[15:57] rhiju @jen, ok to have that on the wiki?

[15:58] rhiju then it could be updated by players

[15:58] rhiju living ‘tips’ page

[15:58] machinelves i’d like to see the about page as a kind of orientation & FAQ, like to answer these questions: what is eterna, where do i start, why am i here, who are you people?!?

[15:58] rhiju but we could link off the ‘for players’ page in the ‘info’ menu

[15:58] Jennifer Pearl I think that would work. We can do that and then revisit it in a few months or so and see what people think.

[15:58] whbob Tips help beginners, so how about under Help?

[15:59] Jennifer Pearl @rhiju I was refering to the wiki idea

[15:59] machinelves when i land on a website and don’t know what is happening, i look to the about page like a life preserver in an ocean of data. just tell me the most essential facts about what is happening here, and why i should click on another link

[15:59] rhiju @elves, whbob – good points – if you have a sec, put in these ideas at the forum thread (https://getsatisfaction.com/eternagame/topics/call-for-open-discussion-on-updating-the-eterna-about-…)

[16:00] Jennifer Pearl There would definitly be stuff to help players and guyide them but it would be mostly links to other stuff

[16:00] machinelves people who already know the site will know to nav to things like wiki. but for first time orientation, about is the beacon of sanity in a million pages that make no sense the first time you are here

http://eternawiki.org/wiki/index.php5/2015.08.14_Dev_Chat  

I like this idea. The help heading could be under the ‘For Players’ section.  Maybe under the help heading there could be a link to the strategy guides or wiki. :slight_smile:

Yes. It’s good to look at others designs especially when having a little trouble in a lab.

it would be great if I could see a design then press the back button and see the puzzle designed backwards to the very beginning. then I could go forward to see the line of thought that helped design the RNA. I think that would make a great Tool and I think you could develop it. somehow make the site record each paint to each nt in the labs from beginning to end and deleted unless a submit is recorded and synthesized later after tweaked. Thanks for answering my question in the first place and have a great day!

I agree very much! Indeed! Thanks! Keep up the great suggestions!!!

rhiju , I think that is a great idea. Going with your plan will connect different people with more and unique skills to help with our goals. The more connections the better for success I think for Eterna. Thanks and keep up the great work and ideas!

To me the more tips and vids the better. Thanks

sounds good to me.

I agree a bunch.

Hey astromon & jen – I like this idea of being able to review move histories. Indeed, we have a way to implement it. We can, in principle, record the solutions as well as ‘movesets’ that led to them.

However, we feel like players should grant permission to save their move histories, and are working on a way to ask players to ‘opt in’ to such history saving. Perhaps we are being too careful, and most players would welcome archiving their move history. If you or others have different thoughts on this, could I ask you to open a new getsat thread to start the conversation and ask other players to respond?