Chat trolls

Thank you, I have integrated this along with mat’s idea below into the summary under 2) Mute Button.

Thank you for contributing! :slight_smile:

Thank you for lending voice to this continued issue! :slight_smile:

I understand the devs are working on re-instating this feature! :slight_smile:

I don’t think the problem is bad enough to warrant 7). Out of the few hundred new signups weekly, who may or may not be reading chat as they register, only two or three on average are problematic/trolls that resist community efforts. And I feel the problems that those two or three represent are easily remedied by my 3 proposed points above.

However that doesn’t mean I don’t welcome any beneficial changes!

I see your point about such a penalty as 7) being disproportionate to the problem, and I agree that other steps may very well resolve the issue.

I am working on updating the list with additional player input, and will take this into account accordingly. The devs will not have bandwidth to implement all of the ideas anyway, so this endeavor was more to learn about the options, and prioritize them according to community support.

Thank you for being a voice of reason! :slight_smile:

UPDATE: I have created a final summary version of the issues, integrating all forum comments, and player contributions. I do not wish to spam the community, nor reveal our total strategy publicly; therefore, please PM me if you would like a copy, and I will be happy to oblige.

Many thanks for everyone’s help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You rock. Thanks for your efforts, helping make a really facinating science into something that carries a meaningful legacy for many years to come.
A pioneer helping to shape the future for the betterment of all.
We salute you.

If eterna doesn’t start taking measures to cut off spam at the time of account registration/creation, point 7 is going to start looking more palatable

we had several cases of troll this week, that cause me to suggest some changes to our policies about permitted UserIDs

1. Prohibit Website names in UserID: The first chat troll created a userID that is a commercial website: www.godly.com. So they exploited wide open policy on userID names to promote a commercial website. While their chat content was seemingly innocuous, every time they chatted, the commercial website appeared as a free, unwanted ad because it was their usrID. Would we allow someone to take the name www.foxnews.com? or www.target.com?? We should prohibit the use of websites as UserIDs.

2. Allow eterna members to report offensive content AND offensive UserIDs The next chat troll created a very lewd userID (and then proceeded to spew hatred and vitriol) into the chat content. So they had two different ways of trolling the community making it easy to justify LFP6’s decision to ban them. But we had to hope we could find a moderator (I used slack to contact LFP6 who happened to be available and reacted quickly - thank you)

I would suggest a prominent “flag as offensive” option as part of the eterna chat to quickly call the behavior and the offending user to the attention of a moderator. And perhaps we should track the number of times a userID is banned from a particular IP so that (after exceeding some number like 2) that the IP (as well as the offending user) is also banned.

1 Like