We are looking for pre- input on desired features, player tools, and anything listed as a discussion in the Eternacon2016 schedule

pre-Input for Eternacon2016: desired features, player tools, and anything listed  as a discussion on the Eternacon2016 schedule.
 http://eternawiki.org/wiki/index.php5/Schedule

2 Likes
  1. I would like the new flash tool to be able to flip the sequences around that we programmed into it. not just stamp it. 
  2. I would like the data browser to take me to the actual  puzzle when i click on a design for data, i think a visual is very important to help process the data after seeing the numbers.

Thanks ill think of some more and post later, have a great day!

Is there a list/dot point outline on what items that will be put forward by Dev and you ?

1 Like

Hi,

• Is there a feature to temporary save a state? It is helpful on exploring forks in solving. I use notepad to copy paste strings as temporary point of return in case of fail.
  • It might also be useful to be able to edit the puzzle in text mode. it might sound weird but shifting patterns sometimes helps especially when working with oligo. I have done this in notepad also. It was amazing to see that I’ve done a shifting in notepad and when pasted in puzzle, have it solved already :slight_smile:
1 Like

There should be a prominent location for current and future player tools features.  
New players need a place to go to learn how to use them:

"Highlight a base - (cntrl (pc)/cmnd(mac)) - click to mark bases in a sequence.  

There is a (shift/ drag - Mac) tool to highlight the FIRST STATE in a multistate lab.  
It highlights the bases, then when you hold shift and press the left or right arrow key,
the whole string will shift left or right. ( I don’t know how to un highlight the bases :( 

There is going to be an "insert (paste) a string of bases at any point in a sequence.

This location could also have instructions on how to use the current player puzzle maker and 
a new many state puzzle maker if one should be developed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Players and Dev’s have produced many excellent spreadsheets of lab data.  I’m not sure if any have been produced recently.  A location for Lab round data has been in the archives main lab page. Is there a need for a standardized spread sheets for these new labs and can they be consolidated into an area of the wiki so several rounds can be compared from the same location? 

2 Likes

What about a “press release” ( approved by rhiju & the Dev’s?) that every player could get and send to their locallpaper asking the public to join Eterna?

3 Likes

To un highlight the bases, hold shift and click the outer part of the puzzle (blue part) :slight_smile:

1 Like

A couple of Stanford Alumni ( Ian and Corey) have an open source communications platform similar to Slack.  It is called Mattermost.  They are both gamers and use extensive HTML5 in their software. Any chance that rhiju could explore the possibility of getting them to advise us on our communications planning? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Correction: Alumni is not correct, Ian was a teaching assistant and Corey was an Entrepreneur-in-Residence with the Stanford Research Institute.

This is an excellent observation, whbob, and I hope you will follow up on it.  In the wiki, there is a Lab page where various players helped maintain a standard summary of SHAPE labs.  On the same page, there is some start towards a systematic summary of data resources for the current labs.

Thanks Omei.  The lab page has valuable data but a lot is outdated for current use.  Submissions are not as restricted, no more voting etc.  The last round listed is R101,  R102 the logic gates hasn’t been posted yet.  Those links were not fusion tables though.  Maybe they were just links to Johan’s spreadsheets from the lab archives?
I can’t find some of the fusion tables that maybe you and meechl produced.  They had links to the lab browser data for every solution in a lab.
Your browser may replace those spreadsheets for analysis.
I looked at a R100, R3 sublab and pulled up the switch graph window.  Looks like it is an older A/B lab. The graphs show more than you could ever see with spreadsheets.
We are looking at dynamic data now and that is only coming from graphs not fixed data.  So, now I’m wondering how your switch graphs can be preserved within a fusion table.  Any thoughts?

The Fusion table driving the data browser is here: https://www.google.com/fusiontables/data?docid=1C2-BNH1IHlp-dg8R_iE1RAxZ9zvKVeJSCGwUWGfw

@Omei: Might be good to post a basic tutorial/info on this somewhere (IE linking to the tables, mentioning the use of the UI and API, etc).

Thanks lfp6.  I’ve been confused where the R100 spreadsheet was.  I see it is a fusion table not listed yet in the lab page.  There is a place in the fusion table to link to the switch graph.  Nice :slight_smile:

@ Omei: I made an account on google drive and got R103 xlsx imported as a fusion table.  This is all new for me.  So, it is basically Johan’s data now in a fusion table.
I would like to add columns for lab ID , sublab ID, link to 2D display, link to chart graph etc.  and not sure how to proceed.  Can I get some direction?  Keep in mind, I’m breaking new ground for me :slight_smile:

Hi whbob!  Although it is possible to add fusion table columns and fill them in manually, that’s obviously not very practical for 10,000 rows.  So the general technique is to use whatever tools you have to create a new spreadsheet with all the new columns you want to add.  You also need to include the design ID, which is what ties a row in one sheet with the corresponding row in the other sheet.  Once you have prepared this second sheet, you import it into a new fusion table, and then merge the two tables based on matching design IDs.

How you create the columns of the new sheet is going to depend on what the column holds.  For example, if you know the puzzle ID and the design ID, you can consistently construct the URL for any Eterna design with the spreadsheet formula

=CONCATENATE("[http://www.eternagame.org/game/solution/"](http://www.eternagame.org/game/solution/ "Link http//wwweternagameorg/game/solution/"), , "/", , "/copyandview/")
 You can get things like the project ID and puzzle ID using the Eterna database API.

(By the way, the term “lab” has been used inconsistently over the years when it comes to the Eterna data fields.  The dev team has agreed, in principle, to standardize on the use of the terms “project” and “puzzle” for what you referred to as “lab” and “sublab”.  I suggest you pick up on that usage when you can.  But changing the database API to use those terms consistently would break existing scripts, so you’ll still need to write and process legacy API queries with the terms that were in use when that API was introduced.)

Hope that’s enough to get you started.  Feel free to ask about any specifics that aren’t clear.

I don’t know how to use the Eterna database API.  The design ID is in the R103 spreadsheet.  For starters, I would want to use the design ID to get the project and puzzle ID’s associated with the design ID’s. With those three columns in the new fusion table, I could merge them to the one I made of Johan’s R103 spreadsheet.
So, how would I get the project and puzzle ID’ for all of the design ID’s? 

I have created an EternaScript script that you can use to extract any fields you want from the Eterna database type=solutions API.  It doesn’t have a lot of options, or do a lot of error checking, but see if it is useful to you.

You’ll notice that I’ve added an open request to anyone who does find it useful to help document the meaning of the fields.