Chat Window - Countdown to Next Dev / Community Chat

Feature Request

At the end of the last community chat there was a suggestion from hoglahoo to put a marquee in the chatbox letting people know when the next live chat is scheduled for, since it is now a regular day & time. It was also suggested to have a countdown style clock.

Either way, it would show people in an easy to see spot that there is a time for them to ask questions and engage with the community, and help people to remember when chat is in general.

hoglahoo: no problem - I didn’t realize it was a scheduled chat, I’m always here :smiley: [4:08 PM]

Astromon: lol [4:08 PM]

hoglahoo: thanks, come again anytime [4:08 PM]

Astromon: me 2 [4:08 PM]

hoglahoo: maybe if I’d read the news [4:08 PM]

Elves: hoglahoo, guardian of the rna realms, architect of the botlings [4:08 PM]

Astromon: yeah i was aware it was coming up but i forgot [4:09 PM]

Elves: yep every friday now, from 3-4 PST is a meeting for alternating dev chat & community chat [4:09 PM]

Astromon: 6-7 eastern [4:09 PM]

hoglahoo: ah, cool. easy to remember then [4:09 PM]

Elves: http://eternawiki.org/wiki/index.php5/Dev_Chat [4:09 PM]

hoglahoo: scheduled chat every friday same time [4:10 PM]

Elves: exactomundo [4:10 PM]

Astromon: same bat time same bat channel [4:10 PM]

Elves: hahaha!! i love that, yes [4:10 PM]

hoglahoo: I wonder if would be too distracting to have a little note at the top of the chat window with that, since it’s a permanently recurring event [4:10 PM]

Astromon: i wouldnt think so hogla good idea [4:11 PM]

Astromon: or make it colorful where it is so it stands out [4:11 PM]

Elves: hmm interesting idea hogla, i was also wondering about getting a help button by the chat window for easy access.  [4:11 PM]

hoglahoo: yeah astromon, like a geocities page [4:11 PM]

Elves: i’ll update the transcript with the suggestion, i like it.  [4:12 PM]

hoglahoo: as long as you’re updating it anyway, how about just a countdown to next schedule chat instead [4:13 PM]

hoglahoo: scheduled* [4:13 PM]

Astromon: a time clock [4:14 PM]

Astromon: running backwards [4:14 PM]

hoglahoo: it’s in the wiki I guess I could toss in a late amendment myself [4:14 PM]

Elves: hahaha i was thinking countdown and was wondering if it would be feasible [4:14 PM]

hoglahoo: yes astromon, inside of a tardis [4:14 PM]

http://eternawiki.org/wiki/index.php5/2015.09.04_Community_Chat

1 Like

Might be hard for us to code up the countdown (and if we do have a countdown, I’d prefer to make it for the lab deadlines!).

Here’s an idea though: I hereby challenge a player to write a chatbot that announces at regular times when the next dev/player chat will be *inside* the chat. Maybe at more frequent intervals as chat gets closer.

Or, er, *nudge* a little something posted to each user privately each time they connect to chat (IE, look at community guidelines, resources, help, etc.) which could include this? If chat is put in a persistent frame as Lroppy suggested, this would be even more effective.