Feedback for new terms of service and privacy policy

Please use this topic to provide feedback on our updated terms of service and privacy policy: [Draft] Eterna Terms of Service and Privacy Policy - Google Docs

For more information, please see the news post

Looks great. Very helpful to see all the policies in writing. Under Other Intellectual Property, missing the link for “You can read more about it here.”

There’s actually a couple missing links on our current EULA (which I copied some sections from), that one included. Good catch.

Some things that I’m curious about from a player or potential player perspective:

• Under “Applicability” - it is stated that the EULA may be changed at any time - I know that other websites/etc. sometimes send emails or other notifications for EULA changes, so I’d be curious what Eterna’s general pipeline for notifying users of EULA updates would be (at minimum a notification/announcement through the website seems useful)

• Under “User Generated Content” - it is stated that your puzzle-solving steps may be made available to you (and others) - it would be useful to state how users can see/request such a record of their own data

• Personally would like to see the full non-abbreviated version of GDPR also stated - for example: “such as under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)” - just for extra clarity

• Account deletion is mentioned, but it is not described how a user would go about deleting their account. Presumably this would be through contacting the support email?

Jonathan, it looks good to me.

There is a specific channel in the forum that is for asking for account deletion, that’s where I assume forum people would do it, but if they’re not in the forum, then yes, the would have to contact the support email.

Under “Applicability” - it is stated that the EULA may be changed at any time - I know that other websites/etc. sometimes send emails or other notifications for EULA changes, so I’d be curious what Eterna’s general pipeline for notifying users of EULA updates would be (at minimum a notification/announcement through the website seems useful)

Great question. This is new territory for us, so I’m not sure - I was thinking a popup asking for players to re-confirm after a change when they log in. I could see email being useful if our handling of user data changes and you haven’t logged in for a while, but at the same time I think folks may tend to see these emails as annoying. Ultimately, not sure what the best approach is.

Under “User Generated Content” - it is stated that your puzzle-solving steps may be made available to you (and others) - it would be useful to state how users can see/request such a record of their own data

Right now, there isn’t any way to request the movesets in a self-service way. It’d need to be on request, where we’d presumably vet the reasoning for requesting before providing it. I know this data is covered under an IRB, but I don’t know the details.

Personally would like to see the full non-abbreviated version of GDPR also stated - for example: “such as under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)” - just for extra clarity

Good call.

Account deletion is mentioned, but it is not described how a user would go about deleting their account. Presumably this would be through contacting the support email?

I imply from the previous paragraph that you contact support, yes. As Arnuv mentioned, there is a forum topic where there have been requests - I should probably close that topic and direct people to use the email instead.

Some spelling errors have been introduced, “Intillectual” and “thuroughness”.

Fixed, thanks!