[New Site] Infinite Scroll Logic and Filters

Pages with infinite scroll logic should maintain filters and other information in sidebar as constant during the scrolling

Not having the filters and other information retained results in a lot of negative blue space that is not filled on scrolling down.

I don’t think it’s necessary to put anything (like say a refresh button here) but you may want to put a button for ‘initiating’ the sort.

1 Like

The problem with keeping the sidebar content fixed is that if you have a smaller screen, you’d have no way to access the rest of the filters. The way we handle this is the same as, say, Amazon and other ecommerce websites (which are a common case of having filters like this)

There also shouldn’t be any need to have a button to initiate the sort - as soon as you click a filter or start typing in the search, it will start changing the result!

I didn’t think that most e-commerce websites used infinite scrolling. If the player is capable of infinitely scrolling down, I imagine you would want to have ease of access to sort/filter options, so that the player can redo their sort/filter from wherever they are.

The button is there so that the player knows they are initiating the filter. The page doesn’t reload or anything along those lines, so it’s not going to necessarily be intuitive that anything is being sorted, especially since everything kind of looks the same.

I didn’t think that most e-commerce websites used infinite scrolling. If the player is capable of infinitely scrolling down, I imagine you would want to have ease of access to sort/filter options, so that the player can redo their sort/filter from wherever they are.

Hmmm, that’s a fair point. That being said, if they’re changing their filter, they’d be changing the entire contents of the page, so they’d lose their place anyways - what if we just had a “scroll to top” button?

The button is there so that the player knows they are initiating the filter. The page doesn’t reload or anything along those lines, so it’s not going to necessarily be intuitive that anything is being sorted, especially since everything kind of looks the same.

Either the button wouldn’t do anything, or we would no longer be able to have searches that just update as you click/type, which I really really like. Maybe there could be a different indicator that the search has been updated? Maybe just a little bootstrap alert that disappears after a few seconds?

Hmmm, that’s a fair point. That being said, if they’re changing their filter, they’d be changing the entire contents of the page, so they’d lose their place anyways - what if we just had a “scroll to top” button?

That’s probably a good idea for all pages with infinite scroll logic. But where is the button going to go? :stuck_out_tongue:

Either the button wouldn’t do anything, or we would no longer be able to have searches that just update as you click/type, which I really really like. Maybe there could be a different indicator that the search has been updated? Maybe just a little bootstrap alert that disappears after a few seconds?

Updating the search results instantaneously is great! But it definitely isn’t helped by the site design. I click a filter, look away for half a second, and then look back, if I didn’t know enough about the site and what kinds of puzzles should be here, then it wouldn’t look like anything has changed. It’s just a bunch of boxes and white squiggly lines. There is no heading, or other information to tell me that I’ve made my filter selection, just a bunch of small check-boxes that make me feel like I’m shopping, rather than exploring.