Player Puzzles Feedback

First-lists, once full, cease to be incentives - rather, they begin to de-incentivize, as players realize they are locked out of any recognition. I think, personally, it’s better to leave this one out.

After all, first is just an accident of available time & finding a new puzzle; a pure happenstance - it says nothing about ability of the player, or quality of the solution.

-d9

Hi d9,
Point taken. But I would assume with new player puzzles rolling out each week, there is always a new incentive.
I never expected to measure ability of the player or the quality of the solution, its merely a tool for other players to measure each other on. A competition of sorts.

You can’t define player ability in player puzzles nor of the puzzles quality, so the way I see it, its more of a playground and an in-between the formal puzzles and the lab. Player puzzles is in the end, still a game. :slight_smile:

Maybe one day we’ll be able to measure player ability, then that’ll be interesting.

Hi boganis

We have had first player lists in the past.
I agreed with Dev when the lists were removed.

Mat

OK just *how* are these really funny player puzzle shapes developed? There must be some non-Eterna tool, right?

I’m really looking forward to seeing the bots turned on, btw.

You click on the ‘Create a puzzle’-button in the Player puzzles. You then get an input box (white entry line) and you are good to go :slight_smile: Parentheses, one of each kind makes paired bases and full stops makes unpaired bases. After you have solved your own puzzle you can publish it by clicking on the submission symbol down in the tools line. Good luck with your puzzle construction! :slight_smile:

What about enabling a leaderboard or list like the one in the GU-competitions, that shows which player solved the puzzle with x GU pairs y GC pairs and z AU pairs? That would be interesting?

If it in addition could be defined by the puzzle-maker which kind of basepair the ranking is sorted by it would be even greater! (some puzzles could be ranked by lowest number of GC pairs others by higest number of GU pairs :slight_smile: or AU if that is interesting to someone.

boganis, I created a small one just to see how it went, but these really fancy ones, like your signature - is that really the only tool you used? If so, you are da dude/dudette!

I am unawaware of any other way to design puzzles than the hard way, using parentheses and full stops. I would agree with anyone thinking that the design process is rather awkward, and I am flattered by you promoting me to dude-status :slight_smile:

Would it be possible to sort the player puzzles by, in addition to the sorting options asked for previously, number of puzzle solvers?

Those puzzles solved by just a few will either be newly made or hard to solve :slight_smile:

@jee can you please tell me what number 4 has been logged as on the bug tracker?

1. Being able to post up the same shape, so we can do Stage Puzzles. With more and more conditions, at each stage.

Thinking about it, can we have an interface built like the lab for the player puzzles.
Specifically to be able to download all the sequences, with flags of which ones have been solved by which bots.

The more data we have, the more we can analyse.

Hi Berex,

features 1), 2), 3) and 9) has been implemented.

Let us know if the new features don’t work!

This feature is now implemented. Check out the game!

Hi Berex,

Paste sequence tool has been implemented. Check out the game, or this news item!

I was working on puzzle # 10688. After an interval of several hours, I returned to work some more on this puzzle. I then noticed that the shape had changed from having an arm going left at a 30 degree angle, the whole molecule now was basically straight with the usual small loops at various intervals.

What is the solution?

1. Hit the reverse (undo) button until the left going arm re-appears? How many clicks is the undo button good for? Going all the way back to AAAA’s?

2. Or start from scratch again with all AAAA’s? How do I get here?

Thank you,
mgbunem

Hi,

I would like to be able to view a dot and melt plot for the puzzles I create. Actually, that would be nice to have on ALL puzzles, not just labs.

Thanks,
Zanna