Please consider moving the five strategy puzzles with locked bases by Sneh from player puzzles to tutorials or challenge puzzles

Please consider moving the five strategy puzzles with locked bases by Sneh from player puzzles to tutorials or challenge puzzles. They are here: http://eterna.cmu.edu/eterna_page.php…

These five puzzles are just like tutorials in nature, and are of a far lower difficulty than most of the challenge puzzles. Two of these puzzles in particular explain and teach how to solve the two most-asked about challenge puzzles by new players in chat. But new players don’t see these because they are buried in the player puzzles section, which new players are suggested to stay away from until the challenges are completed. Yet, again, these 5 puzzles are designed specifically to help new players tackle the challenge puzzles. So to me it makes sense to add them to the tutorials or at least to the challenge puzzles, but seems counterproductive to leave them in the player puzzles where they are currently only seen by those who have already learned the tactics those puzzles were designed to teach.

Thanks!

I agree with hoglahoo, those puzzles were to help new players solve challenge puzzles.

I agree too.

Hoglahoo brought these “lost” tutorials up in chat the other day. Here is basicly what I said:

What gets people in trouble in the first challenge puzzles, are they don’t know that loops should be mainly yellow, except for weird cases by Brourd and Hoglahoo. So they throw all sorts of colors into the loop and thus get everything else unstable and blocking them from discovering how to solve the puzzle. The locked nucleotides will help them over this.

Hoglahoo said: Maybe the quantitative power of G-A boosting is not really explained well enough, maybe they think changing a random base has just as much chance of helping as a boost

Most need to try it more than once, to remember it. Same with the basepairs and what bases pair up. It takes a little time to learn it.

Actually those puzzles were in fact presented at the very early stage of challenge puzzles before.

But then we got comments that those puzzles were focusing too much on very specific loop boosting problem that could be too much for new players and moved them to player puzzles and it actually helped our new player retention rate a bit.

Maybe we can bring back the first 1,2 of the loop puzzles back to challenges page - but I’m not sure if bringing all them back as tutorials

Hi Jee

“Actually those puzzles were in fact presented at the very early stage of challenge puzzles before.”
Yes I asked to sneh to make them. (I was hoping he made more advanced tutorials)

“But then we got comments that those puzzles were focusing too much on very specific loop boosting problem that could be too much for new players”
Those puzzles were to help players with an advanced tutorials to solve those specific loop boosting problems that new players were getting stuck on.

" it actually helped our new player retention rate a bit"
Those specific loop boosting problems are found on puzzles early in challenge series and i think it did help with player retention rate.

“Maybe we can bring back the first 1,2 of the loop puzzles back to challenges page - but I’m not sure if bringing all them back as tutorials”
I agree back to challenges page.

Mat

Maybe we can bring back the first 1,2 of the loop puzzles back to challenges page - but I’m not sure if bringing all them back as tutorials

Yes, at least that way it is a little more likely that people will come across these small, guidance puzzles before running into their larger counterparts

I saw this in chat today from a newer player:

SandSmith: Lololol, ran out of challenges, so started on the other puzzles. _ These little strategy puzzles would have been helpful! _

Agreed, these look like great learning tools for newbies.