site slow to load, crashing when navigating between pages

I’m having trouble just navigating the site today, that is with 1 tab open and without even opening any puzzles. Trying to respond to a pm turned into a half hour ordeal.

2 Likes

Thanks, Andrew.  I am aware of it.  It seems to be an intermittent overloading of the server, rather than a hard crash.  But in any case, we’re looking into what we can do to improve, if not eliminate the issue.

I should add one thing.  Although there are definitely server issues, there also seems to be browser issues, at least with Chrome.  When you start seeing problems, you should try closing your browser and restarting it – it may help.

In an attempt to ameliorate the situation, I have increased the gateway timeout value from 60 to 90 seconds.  This may or may not help.  It certainly doesn’t get at the core issues, which are speeding up the server’s responsiveness and notifying the user when a timeout does occur, rather than hanging. It is simply a change I could try quickly. 

Thanks for the replies Omei. I just manually updated chrome, and it seems to be much better. The newest version is Version 61.0.3163.91 (Official Build) (64-bit). I had to go to “about chrome” and it updated without a notification.

Thank you, Andrew.  Even though I have automatic updates turned on, I was still on version 60 until I went to the About Chrome page.  Then it did the update automatically.  I’ll see whether that improves my situation any.