Tool Addition: Automatic Simple & Mutating Base-Pair Swaps

In the short time I’ve been playing EteRNA, I’ve discovered that there are two repetitive sequences of four to six mouse-click moves each that I need to do repeatedly. My idea is to automate these move sequences for speed, ease, and player convenience.

1. Simple Base-Pair Swap: I envision this as a hot key (perhaps “S”?), that, when held down while clicking on either nucleotide in any base pair, will simply swap the nucleotides.

Currently, this operation requires either 4 mouse-clicks, or 2 key-presses and two mouse-clicks to complete.

Implementing the Simple Base-Pair Swap as a feature would eliminate either 3 of those mouse-clicks, or 1 of the key-presses and 1 of the mouse-clicks. This is perhaps not a big savings in time or motion when only doing a few operations, but potentially a huge time & motion savings when you need to try many recombinations

1. Mutating Base-Pair Swap: I envision this also as a hot key (perhaps “M” ?), which when held down while clicking on:

A) a G-C pair, would first do a simple base-pair swap (as in #1 above), then additionally, also remove the Cytoseine, and instead insert a Uracil in its place, resulting in a U-G pair.

Conversely, when held down while clicking on:
B) a G-U pair, would first do a simple base-pair swap (as in #1 above), then additionally also remove the Uracil, substituting a Cytoseine in its place, resulting in a C-G pair

Currently this second operation requires either 6 mouse clicks, or 3 key-presses, and 3 mouse-clicks to complete.

Implementing the Mutating Base-Pair Swap as a feature would eliminate either 5 mouse-clicks, or.2 key-presses and 2 mouse-clicks - per operation - again, perhaps not a big savings in time or motion when only doing a few operations, but potentially a huge time & motion savings when you need to try many recombinations

dimension9,

Excellent idea. The swap brush will be definitely useful. I’m adding this to our bug/feature tracker! (case #185)

As for the mutation brush, we did have an alternative tool called “Pair brush” which allowed you to paint stacks in pairs (there were 3 brushes “GC”,“GU”, “UA” brushes). That brushes confused novices a lot so we took it out. Perhaps it’s time to add those back in for experts?

I agree wholeheartedly, Jee; please do add the “Pair Brush” back in - if it is confusing to novices, then perhaps only make it available in 400 point puzzles and up… or only to players above a certain total score (to be determined); but one way or another… this would be a boon to players who long to have the interface not get in the way of thought. It would cut down tremendously the tedious parts of solution-finding. BTW, just want to add: the developer responsiveness here has just been outstanding! Highest praise for that! :slight_smile:

if you are adding this, might i add ontop, perhaps a hotkey to reverse the pair brush, e.g. you press the hotkey and the brush flips from c-g to g-c, along side the flip tool,

as for how many oints, i would think 2000+ user points, around there most users seem to have gotten hold of the basics, perhaps throw in a popup in game when they hit 2000 saying if they want to try out the advanced GUI, and presenting them some other way to disable it, like a button on the GUI

Hi Ryan, since this is a “swap” brush, no reverse hot-key would be necessary, it would just swap whatever was currently there; therefore, just a second swap click would swap back to the original. :slight_smile:

This feature has been implemented. Let us know if you have trouble using it!

EteRNA team