The new browser is not ready to take over

Eli, can you tell me how to reproduce this particular bug?

It happens regularly, typically when I have been setting something in the left panel. I will try to look out for when exactly it happens.

I just replicated the sliding error. All I did was open this lab:

http://www.eternagame.org/web/labs/data-browser/?puzzle_id=6296745

Iā€™m using firefox.

Thanks Eli, I can reproduce it now.  It looks like it is specific to Firefox and having the Sequence column displayed.  (Headers align correctly if I hide the Sequence field.) If you come across any other example that doesnā€™t have both these elements present, please post again.

Iā€™m not sure how long it will before I get it fixed.  :-(

OK, Iā€™ve re-implemented the 2D structure view so that it makes use of the existing flash app, and thus works for all designs.  It may not be perfect, but think this removes the design structure as a show stopper.  What do you all think?

I think it would help to have a more lightweight interface eventually. Having the entire UI in the window seems overkill. Perhaps if there was a way to have it just show basic information (ie the structure/data) by default, then switch to an ā€œexperimentationā€ view (ie opening withing a full game window or something)?

I have gotten tired of having to ticking off lots of boxes each time I want to see data for a different lab - something which happens a lot - so Iā€™m thinking that it would be really helpful if the browser could just remember my global preferences. Just as the classic browser remembers which columns I wish to have shown globally. It is usually the same data columns I wish to see no matter the lab.

Ok, really this solution is probably less good than just having all the favored columns remembered by default.

The structure boxes do not adjust to the space available, making it hard to see the second one.

Each time I am shifting from one design to a new design there is a waiting time on 15-20 seconds. The structure image is loading painfully slow.

Remembering past preferences has been an important design consideration from the beginning (ask Siqi :slight_smile: ), and I am puzzled why it isnā€™t working for you, Eli.

Note that your preferences are stored in what HTML5 calls ā€œlocal storageā€.  Is it possible that you routinely work in ā€œincognitoā€ mode?  If so, that would account for your preferences not being saved. The HTML spec requires that the browser clears out local storage data when the current session terminates. 

If that isnā€™t your issue, let me know and weā€™ll figure out what is going wrong.

Is it always 15-20 seconds?  Downloading  the flash app can take that long, but the Eterna server is now telling the browser that it is OK to cache the app.  (That is, the browser just does a quick check to make sure the app hasnā€™t been updated and then loads the cached copy if it hasnā€™t been.)  I see typical wait times of 4-5 seconds for a new 2D instance.

If you are always having a 15-20 second wait, I would want to know if your browser is for some reason not caching the app, or whether something else is wrong.  I would suggest starting by loading the app in Chrome and bringing up itā€™s debugger, because I think it is the easiest to use.  Do you know how to do this?

@Eli: Re the 2D structure boxes, Iā€™ve coded a change on http://www.eternadev.org/lab/data-browser.html to maintain a 3:2 aspect ratio. What do you think about that version?

1 Like

Hi Omei!

Big thx. This is far better.

It still is a problem when I pull 3 windows.

Yes, it is not just delay the first time I load the structure drawing. Iā€™m trying to change my browser settings so they allow better for saving of data.

I usually have no problems in the classic browser, there load time is less than a sec.

I donā€™t know how to load the debugger in chrome. I will need some guidance.

Less data viewable in the web browser compared to the flash browser

While the classic browser has way too much space in its data columns, I can still see far more both of the data columns and the sequences per lab. Which I like.

Flash, 40 sequences, sequence list fills 2/3

In the web browser, the sequences fills more and I can see fewer off them. This leaves me with less data columns on the side.

Web, 30 or really 29 sequences, sequence list fills 3/4

What is the greatest promise of the web browser is if one could view the sequence list alongside a design structure drawing and still have room for one or two data columns. The sequences filling too much leaves very little room for this. All extra space would be helpful for making the structure drawing bigger. 

Some of the versions of the Data Browser have held the 40 sequence view. And I really liked it.

The main difference between your first two screenshots is the zoom level, and you have full control over that with the Control +/- keys.  (At least that is what they are for Chrome; I think it is pretty standard across browsers.)

Am I missing something?

I have zoom set to 100% in the browser for both images.

This happens in both firefox and chrome, but I can only shoot this image including zoom level within firefox.

Re ā€œIt still is a problem when I pull 3 windows.ā€:  You control how many of the structure boxes you see by adjusting the width of the right panel.  Of course, the more you put there, the smaller they are.

BTW: Something youā€™ll come across sooner or later: if you drag the left border of the right panel quickly while the new border is over the 2D boxes , it can appear to get stuck.   If this happens, you just need to move the border more slowly.  Undoubtedly, there is something I can do to improve this, but Iā€™m not thinking of it as a priority right now.

My point was not that everything is the same in both browsers at the same zoom level, but that the player has control of the zoom level.  Thereā€™s an obvious trade-off between how much you can get on the screen and how well you can see it because of reduced size.  That choice is a personal one, based on screen size and resolution, oneā€™s vision, what other windows one also wants to see, etc.

Making the best use possible of whatever space is available is definitely a design goal.  But trying to tweak the best compromise for a default zoom level doesnā€™t seem like a good use of time unless there is a consensus among players that the current one is clearly sub-optimal.

@Eli, re the debugger, Iā€™ve created the document https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uLyORTRpZsSbmJrtbEiI3gOwmuVRJNXjG7My_5jgF7Q/edit#heading=h.pgzu7ā€¦ and given you edit permissions.  We can continue the discussion there.

@others: The document should be open to viewing and comments, in case the topic is of interest to you.

1 Like