EteRNA Medicine Puzzle Progression & Interface Feedback

http://prntscr.com/a52rlx  <

The new progression at medicine.eternadev.org has now launched on eternagame.org. The initial testing on the dev site is done, this is for anything encountered on the main site.

1 Like

@whbob “beam to puzzlemaker” also inserts the sequence for you.

@Nando That’s new, and I like it! However, right-click in a flash app *usually* doesn’t do anything useful, and hasn’t in EteRNA till now, so it might be worth while to make an announcement on this, and have a tutorial explaining it. On a related note, for significant UI changes like this, I might suggest that (at some point) existing users should get a little popup explaining these kind of things the first time they enter the game after the change. Not sure how feasible that is, but a thought for the future.

@Eli: I never thought that this terminology would cause so much confusion lol. “Lab Bench” was meant to evoke the idea of a personal workspace, but the “lab” is where the “experiments” take place. Perhaps we should rename “labs” to “lab experiments”, “cloud lab”, or something else more descriptive? The terminology has been around for a while, but this might actually make more sense (personally, EteRNA as a while is the “lab”, per-se, and everything we do is inside it).

@Rocketdog: That’s actually the idea! The challenge & player puzzles don’t really “do anything” for EteRNA’s scientific goals (for the most part), so they’re being downplayed.

On the main page organization, see my thoughts about that.

@Rocketdog: Some things may still be in the works, but this (the version on the production site, as opposed to the development site) is what we’re commenting on now.

LFP6, OK, great.  That’s what I thought, but wasn’t very sure

The lab browser is now working! It looks great, thanks, Omei.

Thanks Meechl. :slight_smile:

Be warned that there are many puzzles listed, but only the last round of Exclusion puzzles currently have data available, and even those don’t show all the data columns.  I’ll post to the data browser topic when there is really something new to see.

@Nando, now I get it. :slight_smile: You mean the puzzle with the applet thing. I was confused and hovering over the lab bench line with nothing happening.

@LFP, smiling back. Yes, another name will probably be good. For me “lab bench” literally means the place where I actively do my lab work. Which means I get confused when a link tries lure me away under promise of being lab work to something that is not (exclusively) lab work. :slight_smile:

Lab is fine for the lab work, however the overview section with what to work with, will be better off with a more general name. The lab bench link gets one to a choosing work section. That has both to do with labs and puzzles. Not sure what to call it.

Maybe the page you get to with using the lab bench link should JUST be your homepage?  And the lab bench link should just be to all things lab related?  Right now it seems my “homepage” (first page I see when going to website) is the player puzzles page.

1 Like

I really like that idea, Hyphema. My page/homepage, that will make sense for me. Just like we had the road map too earlier. 

once you click on the “hint” icon the text box that pops up cannot be removed.  At least I don’t think so…

Just click the button again, or use the H keyboard shortcut.

Much like when you put the cursor over the oligos you get a prompt to indicate it is the ‘TB-A (@100nM)’ etc , it may be helpful for the same effect when you put the cursor over the MS2 hairpin.  For new players it may be useful to remind them what is the MS2 hairpin especially when solving the puzzles in the supercomputer level.

ah, thanks nando. I knew there was something I was missing

Nucleotide mixer fails after puzzle number 4 to allow me to click next button inFireFox browser. I went to URL and incremented puzzle numbers to move on through–most ungraceful.    pasted from chat from another player<<<<

A related chatter complaint this morning about the same level:

completed the nucleotide mixer, and then it prompted me to register, and then didn’t give me the points after i registered…
it shows the mixer as being complete

Fixed now.

Caleb has been working on this - should be fixed now (although we might move to a different arrow system in the near future).

This is for veteran users.  New users see “Earn ten more tools to start real experiments!”