EteRNA Medicine Puzzle Progression & Interface Feedback

Noted.  We’ll look into it.

Good point.  I’ll discuss it with Caleb and Nando.

Hmm… I’m relaying this to Caleb to see what his thoughts are.

@bekeep: Dashboard? Maybe? :slight_smile:

I did use it to solve the puzzle, and I have been experimenting with using it on puzzles like XOR, but I don’t use it for normal single-state or switch puzzles.

I like the glue function. It allows me to set what target shape I want and then see the misfolds when I go to natural. If you don’t use the glue function the target shape just becomes a big open loop which forces you to just look at the natural mode. The glue function can be quite useful in puzzles like the XOR puzzles and the like. Even with labs

@bekeep, I use the blue glue tool in the lab for just about every submission that isn’t a mod of an existing one.  My general design process is to start with some notion for the “bones” of the switch, i.e. the core of a few helices that I expect to act as a coupling between the inputs and the output. I set these as the target structure and then mutate the bases around them to get the energy balance needed to stabilize that core structure.

Far better explanation of what can be done with the blue glue function Omei! This is exactly what I do when going from scratch. It also helps with doing major mods on existing lab designs

Yep - it seems pretty indispensable to me but I give it quite a short (and not terribly meaningful) introduction in the puzzle progression.  Let me retool it based on what you all have said and then we can iterate.  Please, if you have suggestions on how to do this, let me know.  I feel like Nando made a short video when he introduced it, which I’d like to revisit.

I haven’t gotten to that in the puzzle progression, yet.  Does the tutorial creator have the ability to wait on the player marking segments with the tool?

Yes.

Take a look at http://www.eternagame.org/game/puzzle/6503034/

Two problems: 1) I can’t really see the highlighted Cs that well (maybe it’s just me), and the box is not close to them which makes it confusing.  2)  I go into how to use it but not why, really.  Maybe this is could be one of those puzzles that is more strictly a walk-through both to introduce the tool and explain why you would use it.

Hm.  Seems to me there are a bunch of problems here.  I can elaborate if you wish, but it probably isn’t relevant.

Hyphema, would you be interested in showing Ben a real world example of using it to create a lab submission?  I’d volunteer myself, but I already have too many things distracting me from the data browser development.

That would be great, Hyphema, if you have the time.

this is still an issue new players are reporting

Thanks for mentioning this again. I think this is mostly a viewport problem.  The mission screen does not dynamically change size based on the size of the viewport.  The ideal solve would be to make it responsive - not quite sure what it would take to do that, but I can chat with Caleb or Nando to see if that’s possible.  The other thing that we can do is to adjust spacing, font size, and picture size to make it work with a broader range of viewports (this wouldn’t be a perfect fix, but might be good enough until we move on from flash).  This is a high priority.

Time is a commodity I don’t have with three young kids. If they could at least bath and feed themselves without supervision I may have some time. However, I am interested in doing what I can. At least to show Ben how we (players) can use the function. I would think some type of a video would be best but I am far from a computer person. How would I do that?

I completely understand. : )

If you wanted to make a video with a voice-over or something, that might be really helpful.  I’ll PM you with details.

Hi, I am having trouble with marking a base, which you need to do in Thermocycler Level 5. It has the instruction to use Command click for a Mac, but this doesn’t work for me. I have also tried option/alt click, option + command click, shift +command click, shift + option click and shift + option+ command click.

None of these do anything, but holding down the shift key turns the pointer from yellow (base colour) to black, though then clicking just turns the black off again.

Control click seems to be the same as ‘right click’ (two finger click on the trackpad) and brings up the settings etc menu.

I cannot go further in this puzzle without doing the marking, as it won’t let me change anything else, and I can’t go further in the puzzle progression without solving this puzzle.

Hi lindabennett,

Thanks for reporting this and sorry about that. I don’t immediately know what might be going wrong.  I know command-click generally works on a mac (I use it myself!), so something odd must be going on. Let me think about it and I will get back to you tomorrow.

Best,
Ben

Hi Linda!  You don’t say what kind of mouse trackpad you are using, but I suspect that the settings for it need to be changed to be compatible with the Mac for this specific combination.

Try looking through the trackpad, mouse and maybe even keyboard options in your system preferences and see if you can find anything that looks relevant.  If you come up blank, post the make and model of the trackpad you have, and maybe someone here will know, or can find, the answer.

1 Like